Wednesday, June 13, 2012

South Seas Chicken and Bananas

When I was 7 my family moved to St. Lucia so my dad could go to medical school. It was an interesting experience to mingle with a different culture, including the local wildlife (hop toads!) We had no car and either road the bus or walked.


See that little dot on the bottom right corner of the map? That's where we lived. My Mom cooked us as normal a meal as possible that we were used to in the states. My mother was and still is a picky eater. I did have some really good ice cream there though. I can still taste it in my mouth when I remember that afternoon. I have not had that flavor before or since.

When I saw this recipe it reminded me of living in the Caribbean. So for that reason alone I had to try it. I was not disappointed. This recipe is so easy and flavorful. A very different take on chicken, which can get monotonous after awhile.

I found this recipe in  Taste of Home Annual Recipes for 1995 on page 87. Wendy Smith of Eagleville PA sent it in. I just want to ask, Wendy, have you ever been to St. Lucia? Because you nailed it.

If you are tired of cooking chicken the same old 5 ways, give this recipe a try.

South Seas Chicken and Bananas
 

Ingredients
1/4 cup lemon juice
1can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/8 tsp cardamom
6 very firm bananas
 5-6 lbs chicken peices
3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted, divided
Sliced kiwi fruit and star fruit optional (I could not find star fruit, so I substituted a papaya instead)

Directions 
In a food processor or blender, blend the lemon juice, condensed milk, regular milk, coconut adn cardamom until smooth. Pour into a bowl. dip bananas into the milk mixture; roll in cornflakes and set aside. Dip chicken into the remaining milk mixture; roll in remainig corn flakes and place on 2 greased 9x13 inch pans. Drizzle with 1/2 cup of the melted butter. Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for one hour. Arrange bananas over chicken. Drizzle remaining butter. Bake another 15 minutes longer or until the juices run clear. Garnish with fruit if desired
Yield 6-8 servings
 
Nutritional Facts 1 serving (13 ounces) equals 856 calories, 42 g fat (20 g saturated fat), 174 mg cholesterol, 592 mg sodium, 79 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 43 g protein.
Originally published as South Seas Chicken and Bananas in Taste of Home April/May 1994, p27








2 comments: