Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Forever Ginger ---Almost

A few months or so ago I was watching Rachel Ray on the Food Network. During her program she mentioned freezing ginger.


I thought, what a great idea! Ginger is one of those ingredients that is always better whole than in powder form. But, because it is so powerful, recipes only call for it in small quantities. If you had purchased a big twisted hunk of ginger, like my friend up there. It would inevitably go to waste. Either that, or you move to China and set up shop as a street vendor. I hear competition is really steep.

Since I'm guessing you lost your passport, the only thing left to do is freeze your ginger. I purchased mine from a local grocery store. Still not that big hunk up there, but enough that I would use in about 4 months time.

Once home, I peeled the ginger, wrapped it in tinfoil and stuck it in the freezer. When I need it, I unwrap the tinfoil and grate it into the dish I am making and then back into the freezer it goes to be used again later. What a good idea. Thanks Rachel!

Photo Credit:
Buzzle.com


No comments:

Post a Comment