Friday, January 20, 2012

Giant Ginger Cookies



Cookies, yum. I think it brings out the monster in all of us. If a normal size cookie is great, a giant one is even better right? Of course!
This is a staple recipe of mine from the new Better Homes and Gardens cookbook John got for me oh so many years ago. You don't have to make giant ginger cookies with it, but if you don't, it makes a lot of cookies.
The day I made these cookies, the weather was perfect for baking; overcast and cool. I needed something spicy and sweet to warm me up, and these cookies did the trick.



For this recipe I used two bowls. the first I combined the flour baking soda and other spices
Then into the mixer, I put shortening into cream. Then I added sugar and turned the mixer back on to combine. To that, I added eggs and molasses (one of my favorite foods). When every thing was thoroughly mixed, I added the flour mixture. The last remaining bit of flour I had to mix in by hand.

By then the oven was ready and hot. I took out a baking sheet and my 1/4 cup measure. What? Yes that is what I said 1/4 cup. You want these cookies to be big don't you?
After the dough had been scooped I rolled it into balls and put about 6 cookies on my large baking sheet. Then placed them in the oven for 13 minutes. 
The house started to smell really good. When I took the ginger cookies out of the oven, I let them cool on the pan for a few minutes, so that when I got underneath them with a spatula, they would not break.

The cookies turned out perfectly, soft and chewy on the inside and a crunchy on the outside and mostimportant, they were really big.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite things you make. I think I ate an entire gallon size ziploc bag full once! :)

    ReplyDelete