Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Yummy, Easy, Chicken Legs Two Ways!

I love chicken legs!  When I was younger, that was the part of the chicken I got. Mostly because little hands can hold on to the leg and gnaw. They are perfect portion control, and are usually cheaper than buying breasts at the grocer. Mine were 99 cents a pound.

The first recipe I made was Honey Glazed Chinese Chicken by Kikkoman
 I dumped the teriyaki sauce, hoisin sauce and honey in a plastic freezer bag. Then I put in the chicken legs and mashed it all together. I got as much air out of the bag as I could and let them marinate in the fridge turning over once.

When it was time to make dinner, I turned the oven on to 350 degrees and dumped the bag of chicken and marinade into a pan and cooked it for one hour.

As the chicken was cooking I made some rice and vegetables. When the chicken had come out of the oven, and cooled slightly. I picked the meat off the bones and added it to my rice and vegetables. Then I spooned some of my thickened marinade over it and dinner was done!

John and I affectionately call the Chinese restaurants around here that serve a little bit of meat and veggies with a big bowl of rice, rice bowels. My take on this recipe reflects that, but I added more vegetables and chicken to my rice.

The second chicken leg recipe I made was Parmesan Chicken II by Anika, also on Allrecipes.com
Again, this is an easy recipe. I took an egg and beat it up. shredded the Parmesan cheese and added a little salt and pepper to it. Then, I dipped the chicken legs in the egg and then into the cheese. I placed them on a foil lined pan. When all of the legs were dipped and coated they went into the oven at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. While they were cooking I made a salad and cut up some crusty bread. Dinner was heavenly. The chicken was better than some fried chicken I have eaten in the past.

If you want to make these recipes in your cooking district, here are the recipes.

Honey-Glazed Chinese Chicken

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce
  • 1/4 cup Kikkoman Hoisin Sauce
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 1/2 pounds chicken drumsticks
  • 1 green onion, thinly sliced

Directions

  1. Combine first 3 ingredients; pour over chicken in large plastic food storage bag. Press air out of bag; close top securely. Turn bag over several times to coat all pieces well. Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight, turning bag over occasionally.
  2. Bake chicken in 350 degrees F oven 1 hour, turning pieces over and basting with pan juices once.
  3. Sprinkle on green onion before serving.

Nutritional Information open nutritional information

Amount Per Serving  Calories: 345 | Total Fat: 13.9g | Cholesterol: 105mg


Parmesan Chicken II
 

Ingredients

  • 12 chicken drumsticks
  • 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Directions

  1. In a shallow bowl, mix together salt, pepper, and cheese. In a separate bowl, beat egg until lemon colored. Dip chicken in egg, coating well. Roll in cheese.
  2. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 45 minutes, or until brown.

Nutritional Information open nutritional information

Amount Per Serving  Calories: 466 | Total Fat: 26.7g | Cholesterol: 229mg

1 comment:

  1. Rada these sound really yummy. I'll have to remember drumsticks next time I go to the grocery store. :D

    ReplyDelete